There are many insurers available providing cover for all sorts of things. When it comes time for you to choose one, it can be really overwhelming. It can be hard to know what to look for in a good insurer as well as deciding which one will suit your needs the best. There are things that you can research though, which will enable you to make a well-informed decision.
- Identify what you need from your insurance – it is important to start by thinking hard about what you want from your insurance and your insurer. You will have a specific type of cover you are interested in and you will need it to provide certain functions for you. You might prefer to have all your cover in one place to make it easier for you to know who your insurer is, or you might be happy to use different insurers. You may also have preferences with regards to the insurance company, perhaps wanting one that comes recommended, that you have heard of, that you trust or things like that. Think about this and note down your requirements so that you find it easier to compare different insurers and see which fit with your criteria. You can add to or change this list though, as you continue with your research.
- Consider whether your current insurer will work – it can be worth starting by looking at your current insurer, if you have one. See whether you are happy to stay with them. It might be that you are looking to change because you have problem with them but maybe you are just curious to check whether they are giving you good value for money. It is wise to check this as it is easier to stay where you are, but it could be costing you more than necessary.
- Ask others about their experiences – it can be really useful to chat to other people about their experiences of using insurance companies. If you are unsure of what different insurers are like then this can really help. They will be able to tell you about any significant experiences, good or bad, that they have had with particular insurers and this could help you to decide whether you feel that they will be a good insurer for you.
- Consider using a broker – an insurance broker could take a lot of the hard work out of finding a good insurer. With their knowledge of the insurance market, they will be able to match you up with an insurer that should be able to match your needs. This will enable you to find out a lot more about what is available without doing much work yourself. It is worth noting though that brokers will only look at a limited amount of companies. This will therefore mean that you will not get a comparison of every single company and therefore you need to make sure that there are not other companies that will be better value for money for you.
- Look at comparison websites – comparison websites will do a similar job to a broker in that you will be able to use them to compare different insurance deals. However, they will also normally be limited in the companies that they compare. You will find that the different comparison websites may also differ in the insurers that they compare. It is worth noting that they do take commission on the leads that they generate. This means that you will be likely to only get recommendations of the insurers that pay good commission. There may be better ones available that they may not list and so it could be wise to do additional research.
- Do other research – this can be more time consuming and complex. You may need to look in search engines to find what insurers there are and then investigate each one by looking at their website. This can take time, but if you are only interested in companies that you know it will be quicker. Hopefully, you will feel it is worth it, especially if you find an insurance company that offers you really good value for money.
This can sound like a lot of work. It is important to make sure though, that you are happy with your choice. Obviously, you will be able to decide how much work you are willing to put in, in order to get the result that you want. You will need to decide whether you think that it is worth the work, but if you have lots of insurance or pay a lot of money then it could make a significant difference. Once you have done it a few times, it will get much easier as well and you will be able to do it more and more quickly.